Skip to main content

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.
 


I loved this book. It made me cry, it made me mad, it made me laugh. Just a roller coaster of emotions. I can't believe I hadn't read this book sooner. Starr is such a strong girl, so brave...and she doesn't even know it. This is such a powerful read and it just pulls you in. I didn't want to put it down but the way mom life works...I had to a few times but I am so glad I got to read this book.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTM Prediction - January 2026

Hey bookish friends! I can’t believe how long it’s been since I last shared my BOTM predictions. I took a break from my subscription for a couple of years, but I’m officially back for 2026. Life has brought a lot of changes along the way, but I’m happy to say I’m finally in a place where I can slow down, relax, and truly lose myself in reading again. BOTM (Book of the Month) is a popular book subscription service that offers members a curated selection of 5–7 newly released hardcover titles each month, handpicked by a panel of judges. Subscribers can choose one or add more if they’d like at a discounted price or before the official release date. With the flexibility to skip months and customize each box, BOTM makes it easy to discover new reads, especially popular fiction and thrillers. If you’re interested in joining, feel free to use  my referral code . You can sign up for just $5! I am going to post my predictions like I did before, 3 titles per genre. Keep in mind,  these ...

Books I Want to Read

The books above are on my TBR Soon list Message me on IG @Bookish.n.Boozy  to start a Buddy Read!

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

  Synopsis: Exploring the psychological dynamics of the relationship between a precocious yet naïve teenage girl and her magnetic and manipulative teacher, a brilliant, all-consuming read that marks the explosive debut of an extraordinary new writer. 2000. Bright, ambitious, and yearning for adulthood, fifteen-year-old Vanessa Wye becomes entangled in an affair with Jacob Strane, her magnetic and guileful forty-two-year-old English teacher. 2017. Amid the rising wave of allegations against powerful men, a reckoning is coming due. Strane has been accused of sexual abuse by a former student, who reaches out to Vanessa, and now Vanessa suddenly finds herself facing an impossible choice: remain silent, firm in the belief that her teenage self willingly engaged in this relationship, or redefine herself and the events of her past. But how can Vanessa reject her first love, the man who fundamentally transformed her and has been a persistent presence in her life? Is it possible that the ma...